Is There Really A Need For Aircon Unit Gas Top Up?
It has always been a tradition for Singaporeans to top up their aircon gas during the year-end. However, with notable cases of carbon monoxide poisoning from the past few years, what is the current status on topping up aircon gas? Is it still a practice worth upholding?
Let’s get to know the basics about aircon gas top-up and try to understand its benefits.
What is aircon gas top up?
Aircon units work from a refrigerant, when that refrigerant runs out, it has to be top-up. The aircon gas top-up is the process in which your aircon unit’s freon level is boosted via a simple, quick, and cost-effective method. The whole process takes less than 30 minutes for most of our customers.
The freon gas usually lasts about 2 years depending on usage and location but more humid areas tend to use up the freon faster. When your aircon compressor fails due to lack of freon, you will need a professional aircon servicing company to carry out the Aircon Gas Top Up service as soon as possible.
Why is aircon gas top up important?
If you notice that your aircon unit does not blow cold air anymore even though it used to, then chances are that you need to add more refrigerant. This is especially true in summer due to the high temperatures and humidity levels. Don’t wait until it’s too late, if your aircon unit hasn’t been working properly for a while, it might be caused by a lack of gas.
1) It is important that you top up your aircon unit because if you don’t, your aircon unit will not work properly since there won’t be enough refrigerant in the system. If this is ignored for a period of time, corrosion caused by lack of refrigerant might damage the aircon unit components and cause malfunctions.
2) It is especially important to carry out an aircon gas top-up before summer or after your aircon unit was serviced or replaced by new aircon parts.
3) It is important to perform an aircon gas top-up to prevent malfunction and damage to your aircon unit since this will allow your aircon unit to work in its best condition. You might also save money when you don’t have to deal with faulty or malfunctioning aircon units in the end.
4) It is important that you know how much refrigerant your aircon unit contains before adding some so you won’t overcharge or undercharge it. It is also important that you add the correct gas namely R22, R410A, and R32 in order for your aircon unit to work properly.
How can I do an aircon gas top up?
An aircon gas top up involves:
– Purchasing a special kit and filling this kit with the right amount of refrigerant in order to recharge your aircon unit.
– You will need to wear gloves when handling these chemicals since they are harmful if inhaled, ingested, or come into contact with the skin. There are different techniques on how to do an aircon gas top up but most people use kits that include a pressure gauge, adapter, and nozzle.
– In some cases, it may be necessary to add oil as well so make sure you check before you do an aircon gas top-up for your aircon unit.
Why is it Important to have a professional do this?
It might be tempting to use a DIY kit and recharge your aircon unit yourself but keep in mind that the pressure inside your aircon unit is extremely high so adding more or less refrigerant will cause an aircon issue or malfunction.
– If done correctly, an aircon gas top-up can be successful as well as save you money since you won’t have to repair anything afterward.
– It is important that you choose a reputable service center or professional aircon servicing company which has been doing this type of work for many years. This way, you know they are experienced and knowledgeable enough to handle it properly without causing any further aircon issue or malfunction.
– Having a professional aircon servicing company do this will ensure that your aircon is working as it should.
What are other benefits of aircon gas top up?
Aside from keeping your aircon unit in pristine condition, aircon gas top-up can also give you the following benefits:
1) Enhance automotive safety
Your aircon unit contains CFCs which are not only harmful to the environment but also hazardous for human health. Not having enough refrigerant can cause it to malfunction or break down sooner than expected. The ACR of your aircon unit will cause the compressor to work overtime, which can result in a shorter lifespan for your unit.
2) Increased comfort and convenience
Aircon gas top-up is a must if you plan on having comfortable air during the summer season. This way, the aircon unit won’t make you feel hot or stuffy inside your home as it can easily regulate both air temperature and ventilation. The more CFCs there are inside the aircon unit, the smoother it operates as well as its cooling/dehumidifying capabilities.
3) Increased functionality
By maintaining good levels of refrigerant but also peace of mind knowing that your aging aircon unit is working at optimum efficiency until its next service. It will also save you from costly repair bills as well as the inconvenience of not being able to use your aircon unit during hot summer days.
4) Refresh and rejuvenate your aircon system for a cooler, cleaner and healthier feel
Aircon gas top-up can help remove any humidity or moisture accumulated inside the aircon unit, preventing it from damaging the compressor further. The same goes with dust accumulations which can alter or change how pressurized refrigerant travels through different parts of an aircon unit.
5) Longer lifespan
A properly maintained aircon unit operates more efficiently and requires a lesser amount of energy to keep the temperature at a comfortable level while lengthening its lifespan at the same time.
How often is it recommended to perform aircon gas top up?
In Singapore, it is not necessarily a requirement to have your aircon gas top-up or recharged every year. However, given that gas leakages may be caused by the build-up of moisture inside the aircon unit over time, and if you find your unit’s cooling and dehumidifying performance degrading each year, then aircon gas top-up might be necessary.
It is recommended to carry out an aircon gas recharge yearly, but depending on how often you use your aircon unit in Singapore’s tropical heat and humidity levels, this frequency could vary from person to person. In some cases when a customer doesn’t require having their aircon unit serviced at all throughout the year due to using it only occasionally, we still advise them to visit our shop for a quick inspection and recharge their aircon unit before it gets too hot in here.
It’s always a good time to talk about the common issues that aircon units have. This way, you’ll be able to spot if there are problems with your unit or not and prepare for its replacement accordingly. If you require our aircon servicing services, Whatsapp us at +65 9222 4141 for a fast and transparent quote.
338 Aircon Servicing Singapore provides an extensive range of Aircon Services including Aircon Servicing, Aircon Repairs, Aircon Installation of the best aircon brands, Chemical Overhaul, Gas Top-up, Aircon Leaking Water, and Aircon Not Cold Fix, and more. We have a team of professional technicians who are equipped with vast knowledge and experience in the Aircon industry.
We have over 15 years of experience in dealing with aircon works and have completed thousands of aircon works for both residential (Landed, Condo, and HDB) and commercial. We are a highly recommended Aircon Company in Singapore, with many delighted customers and reviews over the years on Google and Facebook.
WhatsApp us at +65 9222 4141 for a transparent quotation and honest pricing for all your aircon needs or Call us at +65 9222 4141. We offer a fast and efficient service to serve any of your aircon needs!