Inverter And Non-Inverter Aircon Unit
What is an Inverter Aircon Unit?
The inverter system is a technology created to get rid of temperature oscillations. Years back, electricity waste was a serious problem. Manufacturers realized that there was a need to fix it and turned to the inverter system technology. It is an improved version of the advancements during that time.
Inverters use adjustable speed, which helps control the compressor of the equipment. This way, it can provide the best performance to the user.
Inverter systems work by starting at a low speed. Therefore, it is using much less power at startup, before slowly increasing until it reaches maximum capacity. Homes do not need to wait for a long time to achieve their desired temperature. Cooling is practical as well since the temperature levels can now be retained. Losses are prevented, and the user enjoys a more even temperature.
What is a Non-Inverter Aircon Unit?
The standard aircon units are often categorized as non-inverters. The systems possess a lower energy-efficient rating. It may not be easy to distinguish one from the other, however, most reputable brands identify a product as an inverter system.
Non-inverters were more affordable, and can still be found in many homes because this was all that was available 20 years ago.
What are the main differences between an Inverter and Non-Inverter Aircon Unit?
It is not always easy to figure out if you have an inverter or non-inverter aircon unit. At first glance, these two types do look similar. However, the reality is that they are distinctive from each other in different ways, including their functionality and process. They also come with built-in features, so you may want to know the dissimilarities before buying.
1) Perhaps the most significant difference between these two types of aircon is their compressor.
In a regular aircon unit, the compressor can go on and off. When powered on, it means that this part of the system runs at full capacity. Therefore, it also consumes a lot of electric power. Once the thermostat achieves the set temperature requirement, the compressor will stop working.
2) The technology also differs.
Generally, inverters change the type of power used, which is from alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) and vice versa. In the world of aircon units, inverters handle the power supply frequency of the motor. They adjust how the units cool or heat.
3) They have different types of compressors.
There is a variable speed compressor in an inverter aircon unit, which means it is a multi-speed type. Meanwhile, a non-inverter only has one speed, which is fixed at all times. The principle with this product is “all or nothing.” Therefore, it switches on or off whenever required.
Pros and Cons of an Inverter Air Conditioner
One of the best ways to compare these two types of aircon units is to check their pros and cons. For an inverter aircon, you can enjoy the following benefits:
– An inverter air conditioner is guaranteed to be energy-efficient. As mentioned above, the compressor slows down and speeds up to maintain the desired temperature. In some cases, the aircon unit’s compressor does not function at its full power. This control gives it the capability to work at variable speeds, which in turn allows the system to be more energy-efficient.
– Since it is not power-hungry, an inverter aircon unit is quieter on startup, especially if you compare it with a non-inverter aircon unit. The thermostat controls how it proceeds by using the room temperature as its guide. Instead of turning on or off abruptly, you will not hear loud humming sounds when it starts and stops. These noises are often the chief complaints of those with non-inverter units. Additionally, this controlled process lets the inverter unit use less energy compared to a non-inverter.
– An inverter aircon unit is a good investment. Yes, it is more expensive, but it is more durable, flexible, and functional. You want an aircon unit that will last for several years, and so this aircon unit type can provide such an advantage to you in terms of energy consumption.
– Faster cooling is yet another benefit that you can get from an inverter-type aircon unit. Since it can run at its rated capacity, the room cools more rapidly.
Although the advantages are great, an Inverter Aircon Unit is not perfect. It comes with a few flaws as well, including:
– It is an expensive type of aircon unit. One reason behind its high price is the use of more advanced technology. Additionally, they are costlier when a professional provides installation services. The parts are also pricey when they need a replacement.
– It is a relatively new technology system. If you need to have the aircon unit repaired, you should first ensure that the person is skilled and qualified for the job.
Weigh the advantages and disadvantages carefully to know if an inverter aircon unit fits your requirements, budget, and house plan.
Pros and Cons of a Non-Inverter Air Conditioner
Let us move on to a non-inverter aircon unit. If you have an aircon unit that switches off when the room reaches temperature, it is a non-inverter unit. Meanwhile, if you are still on the market for an aircon unit, you may be wondering why you should pick this type.
Here are the benefits that you can get if you choose a non-inverter aircon unit:
– This type of aircon unit is cheap, therefore it is more affordable than an inverter, which is why it is a consideration for homeowners.
– For Singaporeans who have limited income, a non-inverter aircon unit is the cheaper option than the inverter variant.
Just like an inverter aircon unit, a non-inverter type also has some cons. Some of these disadvantages include:
– Expect this aircon to be noisier. While many users applaud inverter aircon units because they are quieter, a non-inverter is the opposite. The noise comes from the fact that non-inverters were built to switch on and off each time they reach the set temperature level. Some homeowners get annoyed with the sound, especially those who are trying to sleep at night or are working.
– Perhaps one of the biggest things that you can complain about this type of aircon unit is that it can die quickly. Its shorter lifespan is a major turn-off to its potential buyers. People these days have become more interested in ensuring that the product will last them for several years. If it continues to degrade in performance, it is not a good investment to make.
– Unfortunately, non-inverters have a shorter life. Because of the constant switching from on to off and vice versa, its lifespan suffers. It causes a lot of wear and tear, so the system can give up quicker than expected.
– Electricity bills can go up. It is a higher power-consuming unit that will just shock you when your bill arrives. Continuous or daily use of a non-inverter aircon unit will only cause your electric charges to skyrocket in the next several months.
Which is the Better Choice?
Without a doubt, choosing between an inverter and a non-inverter aircon unit can be challenging. You need to consider several factors. We have already outlined the pros and cons of both units above. However, for some consumers, knowing the advantages and disadvantages is not enough.
Let us dig further, so you make the correct choice in the end:
Inverter air conditioners change the rotation speed of their compressors. The benefit of this capability is that it provides a better and accurate way of maintaining the temperature. Therefore, having an inverter aircon unit is like owning an intelligent unit. Cooling stays in the room efficiently without needing to keep the aircon unit running at full power. In this area, the inverter aircon unit clearly wins.
Inverter aircon units have controlled compressor speed. At the same time, their speed can change when required. They are the better choice when you want a unit that can help you save your electricity consumption. Also, inverters help in limiting your energy consumption because of how their compressor works. Therefore, it is easy to see why an inverter aircon unit trumps the non-inverter variant.
The process of non-inverters can result in excessive use of energy. You usually end up with unnecessary expenses that you have to pay every billing month. Also, because of the energy efficiency of inverter aircon units, they are regarded as the eco-friendly choice. They can lessen your energy use by up to 46 percent compared to the non-inverter air conditioner.
Inverter aircon units are more versatile, thanks to their compressor system. They will function based on the settings for the room and the thermostat. They adjust their processes based on the current temperature in the room. With this versatility, you can conclude that inverter aircon units are the winners in performance.
On the other hand, a non-inverter aircon will do a fine job but will operate on a fixed level. When it comes to the cooling power, the inverter air conditioners once again win. It does not mean though that a non-inverter aircon unit cannot cool the room efficiently. It functions the way it should, which is why you should consider other factors, too, before you decide.
The three previous areas above show that inverter aircon units rule over non-inverter types. However, the value of the systems is another story. Non-inverters are much cheaper, which is why some homes choose them. They do what they are supposed to do. Although they can be noisy and inefficient in saving energy, they perform adequately in cooling any space. So if you are looking for a reason not to purchase an inverter aircon unit, the cost may be the answer. Those with limited budgets may choose a non-inverter because of the initial price of an inverter air conditioner.
Still, you may want to consider an inverter aircon unit as an investment. Sure, it costs more at first, but it will help you save in the end. The unit will pay for itself in the long run, unlike with a non-inverter, which uses more energy.
It’s always a good time to talk about the common issues that aircon units have. This way, you’ll be able to spot if there are problems with your unit or not and prepare for its replacement accordingly. If you require our aircon servicing services, Whatsapp us at +65 9222 4141 for a fast and transparent quote.
338 Aircon Servicing Singapore provides an extensive range of Aircon Services including Aircon Servicing, Aircon Repairs, Aircon Installation of the best aircon brands, Chemical Overhaul, Gas Top-up, Aircon Leaking Water, and Aircon Not Cold Fix, and more. We have a team of professional technicians who are equipped with vast knowledge and experience in the Aircon industry.
We have over 15 years of experience in dealing with aircon works and have completed thousands of aircon works for both residential (Landed, Condo, and HDB) and commercial. We are a highly recommended Aircon Company in Singapore, with many delighted customers and reviews over the years on Google and Facebook.
WhatsApp us at +65 9222 4141 for a transparent quotation and honest pricing for all your aircon needs or Call us at +65 9222 4141. We offer a fast and efficient service to serve any of your aircon needs!