8 Reasons Why You Need to Replace Your Aircon Unit: The Good and The Bad
You’ve worked hard over the years to have a comfortable place to live, and it’s very likely that an air conditioner has always been part of that. It can be difficult to imagine life without your aircon unit. Even if your aircon unit is working perfectly, it may be time to consider replacing it. Here are some of the top reasons to consider a replacement.
There are many reasons for this. For one, new units are more energy-efficient than older ones. This is one of the most important factors in deciding whether or not you need to upgrade your air conditioner. Modern units can perform just as well as old units while using half of the energy.
If your aircon unit is old or it doesn’t work as efficiently as before, you might need to consider replacing the unit. The replacement not only improves the efficiency but also increases the lifespan of your HVAC system. If you are planning to replace your aircon unit then here are few reasons that will help you in making your decision easier:
1) The aircon unit is old
This is usually the first one most people think of when they want to replace their aircon unit. A new AC unit can be 10 or more times more efficient than an older less efficient unit. The amount of energy used by a modern air conditioner has dropped dramatically over the last few decades so it’s worth looking into an upgrade if your current unit is more than 10 years old.
– The unit will use less energy which means savings on your electric bill.
– You’ll be doing your part to help the environment by using less power and helping reduce emissions.
– Your home will feel more comfortable as an added bonus.
– The new units are really quiet compared to older units which can sometimes be loud enough to keep people awake at night.
– You might not need a new air conditioner. A good technician can often tell by testing the unit if it’s near failure or not. Replacing an aircon unit that still has life in it isn’t always a wise investment since the other components in the system may be near their end of life as well and will need to be replaced soon.
– If you buy a new aircon unit, but decide to sell your house in 2-3 years the value of your home will decrease by around $1,000 because people like buying homes with newer appliances and other upgrades. (This is only true if the person buying the home knows enough about HVAC systems to notice the difference).
2) The aircon unit is broken
This happens to everyone from time to time. You get home from a long day of work and your house feels like an oven, but once you turn on the aircon unit it either doesn’t cool or does so very slowly. This can be for many reasons, but there are a few common ones that can be fixed relatively cheaply if you’re not comfortable working on the unit yourself.
– If your aircon unit is under warranty it will be repaired or replaced for free.
– You’ll have an HVAC technician coming to your house which you might not have thought of before.
– If your aircon unit is old it might be a good time to sell or upgrade.
– You’ll have to stay at a cool location until the repair is complete.
Major home renovations can take weeks and disrupt your life, but an aircon compressor failure could mean you’re stuck at a hotel for a couple of days.
– Sometimes the aircon unit will fail in such a way that it leaves your house uncomfortable, or unable to cool entirely which then requires further service repairs.
3) The aircon condenser is outside and rusting away
When the aircon condenser is rusting it’s not just ruining your home’s curb appeal; it also means that it’s rusting away and will soon corrode enough to fail completely. Replacing a condenser is a very large job for a homeowner, but if you have an aircon unit that needs work it might be the best option considering the age of your current system.
– It’s an easy way to get a brand new aircon condenser without having to pay the full price for a new unit.
– Rust is bad and can spread quickly if not dealt with in time, so it’s worth getting the rust removed before it becomes worse.
– You’ll have to stay at a cool location while your condenser is replaced.
– If your home is older and might need other upgrades such as new wiring, ductwork, or the unit itself it’s an added expense.
4) A coil freezes up
This is a common problem with aircon units that weren’t installed correctly. A dirty filter will allow dirt to get into the system and block airflow which will also cause the aircon unit to freeze up. Once this happens, everything is blocked and no air can flow through the system until it thaws out again.
– Your aircon unit won’t break down completely. You might be stuck without cooling for a day or two, but then you’ll be back up and running.
– You’ll be stuck without an aircon for a day or two. If you’re used to aircon, this will surely be an inconvenience that you would rather avoid.
5) It’s not blowing cold air anymore
Even if you have a small hole in the aircon line it will make itself known by not blowing cold air. A hole in the line can be repaired, but this is a job that should only be done by a professional HVAC technician.
– You won’t get stuck with no cooling aircon unit. A small hole in the line won’t cause your AC unit to stop working completely, just cut back on how cold it can get.
– Your home will be hotter than normal for a day or two while you wait for repairs. This is not ideal if it’s summertime and extremely hot outside.
6) Your warranty has expired
This is the worst possible outcome because not only will you have to pay for repairs, but it means that there was a problem with the unit when you bought it and the company decided to fix it by offering a warranty.
The good: – You’ll know for sure what’s wrong.
This is especially true if your warranty was still in effect when you noticed a problem with your aircon unit.
The bad: – Your warranties have expired for months or even years. Since the warranty has been out of effect for so long, you will have to pay a lot more than if it was still in effect. The company might even refuse to fix it because they don’t want their name on an old clunker!
7) Your aircon energy bills are higher than they used to be
If you notice that your monthly energy bills have been creeping up, even though you haven’t changed anything, this could be a cause. An aircon unit should always keep your home at the same temperature without constantly changing itself, so an increase on an ongoing basis is not normal and might signal a problem with the system.
– It could be saving you money.
If your aircon unit is working properly it might be trying to cool an area of your home that’s too warm, so it turns on, cools down the area, and then goes off. This continuous turning on and off could actually save you money because you don’t have to pay for energy while the system isn’t being used.
– You’ll have to fix your aircon system.
If your aircon unit is constantly turning on and off the system has to be fixed before it overheats or worse, completely stops working.
An increase in energy bills is a signal that the aircon unit might not be working as efficiently as it should. Don’t ignore this error message, because it could easily lead to higher costs over the long run.
8) You want a more modern design
Newer aircon units are often sleeker and more aesthetically pleasing than some older models. You might be able to find a more modern design that fits your needs and gives you the benefits of a newer unit without spending too much money on getting a whole new system.
– They can have better insulation. Newer air conditioning units are built with better insulation, which means that it requires less energy to cool your home. They’re also more efficient than units built in the past and will likely save you money on your yearly energy bills, which makes this a benefit that’s hard to ignore.
– They’re efficient. New heat pumps are able to both heat and cool your home, making them more efficient than standard air conditioning units. They’re also cost-effective and can save you money on both heating and cooling costs for the rest of the year after you’ve installed them.
– The installation process might be difficult. If you’ve never installed an air conditioner before or if you don’t feel comfortable doing so, you might have to spend more money on hiring someone to install it for you. This is likely to negate the cost savings of choosing a more modern unit since the installation process might end up costing as much as an entirely new air conditioner.
– You might not get a warranty with a used unit. While you should be able to get a warranty with a new unit, the limited availability of second-hand heat pumps means that there’s no guarantee. Additionally, if your home isn’t properly insulated it could cause problems with the unit working effectively.
It’s always a good time to talk about the common issues that aircon units have. This way, you’ll be able to spot if there are problems with your unit or not and prepare for its replacement accordingly. If you require our aircon servicing services, Whatsapp us at +65 92224141 for a fast and transparent quote.
338 Aircon Servicing Singapore provides an extensive range of Aircon Services including Aircon Servicing, Aircon Repairs, Aircon Installation of the best aircon brands, Chemical Overhaul, Gas Top-up, Aircon Leaking Water, and Aircon Not Cold Fix, and more. We have a team of professional technicians who are equipped with vast knowledge and experience in the Aircon industry. We have over 15 years of experience in dealing with aircon works and have completed thousands of aircon works for both residential (Landed, Condo, and HDB) and commercial. We are a highly recommended Aircon Company in Singapore, with many delighted customers and reviews over the years on Google and Facebook.
WhatsApp us at +65 9222 4141 for a transparent quotation and honest pricing for all your aircon needs or Call us at +65 9222 4141. We offer a fast and efficient service to serve any of your aircon needs!